Saturday, November 16, 2013

Life happens. I try to let it.

I had an idea or revelation about procrastination. I don't buy into the 'plan ahead' theory all the time.
In fact, most of the time I think it's BS....I know what you are thinking....lazy. But hear me out....
Let's say that I decide to plan a party in 4 weeks/6 months... does that really mean I need to do all the work in the first week?
No. It means I have to have an overall (loose) idea or plan, but does that mean I need to know how every detail is going to play out? No....I mean, really-HOW can I? things take time to unfold. To grow.
So, as I see it, it's like a seed being planted, that needs time to stratify (chill) before it emerges into a beautiful thriving blooming plant.  See where I'm going?
Allowing things to happen organically is how I try to take life, events and 'plans'
That is not always comfortable for everyone, as a matter of fact, it's downright maddening for some. I'm not generalizing all events or planning, so let's not get into a heated debate over that.
So, here's an example....much simpler than planning a party...the sink is full of dirty dishes and no one is home but me, the laundry is piled up, the floor needs vacuumed.
  I really want to do my Yoga, read, write or any other hobby that I have. It will still be there when I come back, I'm sure of it, and perhaps I'll be in a better state of mind to do these tasks, with a sense of gratitude, because I took care of myself before I did something that will recreate itself moments after I finish it.  I mean really, haven't you ever noticed how the minute you wash all the dishes, within minutes, there's a cup or a bowl or dirt on a freshly swept floor....
My yoga time does not multiply so rapidly, nor does my creative time...so I procrastinate. 
And you know what? Something really amazing always happens when I go with the feeling I have of letting it go for a bit. Something magical always comes out of it. An inspired thought, clear insight, a new understanding of myself.
Something  I read one time on a plaque somewhere said 'Boring people have immaculate houses' and let me tell you, I am NOT boring. So, next time you drop by my house and things are 'out of order' as they almost always are, I'll show you some really great project I've been working on and it will all make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment